A motorcycle accident can turn a joyride into a nightmare, resulting in potentially life-altering injuries – and in the worst cases, an untimely death. Here at Ross Moore Law, our personal injury attorneys have handled a wide variety of motorcycle accident cases, including the types listed below. Read on to learn more, then contact our team to schedule your free initial consultation!
Common Types of Motorcycle Crashes
1. Rear-End Collision
A rear-end collision occurs when a vehicle hits a motorcycle from behind. These collisions can be particularly dangerous because of the motorcycle’s comparatively smaller size and mass. In these types of accidents, the negligent driver behind the motorcyclist is almost always responsible for the damage and injuries that result.
If a vehicle moves into a lane occupied by a motorcycle, a sideswipe accident may occur. Distracted driving is a major culprit, but in some cases, the other driver simply does not see the motorcycle before they change lanes. The best way to prevent sideswipes is to remain alert and always assume the other drivers on the road do not see you.
3. Turning Left in Front of a Motorcycle
Left-turn accidents may result in life-threatening injuries. In fact, “T-bone” collisions, often caused by a vehicle turning left in front of a motorcycle, are a leading cause of death among bikers. The best way to avoid this type of accident is to boost visibility, drive defensively, slow down in intersections, and maintain a proper following distance.
4. Opening Door into a Motorcycle
If a driver opens their door unexpectedly, the motorcyclist is forced to either swerve into the other lane or hit the door – both dangerous options. Because dooring accidents can occur for a myriad of reasons, motorcyclists must remain vigilant and watch for drivers who appear distracted or intoxicated.
Failing to obey the speed limit is another common cause of motorcycle accidents – one that raises your risk of losing control and lowers your odds of stopping in time to avoid a collision. Simply put, the faster a motorcycle travels, the faster its rider must react.
6. Riding Under the Influence
Operating any type of motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is incredibly dangerous. But unlike vehicle drivers, motorcyclists don’t have anything protecting them. In fact, in 2020, 27% of motorcyclists who suffered fatal injuries were in alcohol-involved collisions. Among all fatal crashes, 16% involved a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) greater than or equal to 0.15%.
7. Weather Conditions
An unfavorable forecast can put motorcyclists at risk. Rain, snow, or ice decrease traction as well as visibility, putting motorcycle riders at a serious disadvantage. Be sure to check the weather before hitting the road to avoid getting caught in inclement conditions.
Contact Ross Moore Law Today!
Looking for a local personal injury attorney to handle your motorcycle accident case? Attorney Ross Moore and our experienced legal team are eager to put our experience to work for you. Call us today or book a free consultation online!
Conveniently located in the heart of Atlanta, GA, we are proud to serve accident victims across the state, including those from Athens, Alpharetta, Peach Tree, Marietta and more! We welcome Tennessee clients as well! Get in touch today.
Attorney Ross Moore and our personal injury team handle a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
Discover More on Personal Injury Topics:
- 5 Things to Have for Evidence in Your Personal Injury Claim
- 5 Ways to Maximize Compensation for Your Personal Injury Claim
- 23 Important Terms to Know for Personal Injury Claims
- Can a Personal Injury Case be Reopened?
- Gathering Evidence for Your Personal Injury Claim
- How Will My Criminal Record Affect My Personal Injury Claim?
- How Distracted Driving Contributes to Motorcycle Accidents
- How to Find the Right Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
- How Will COVID-19 Impact Personal Injury Claims in Georgia?
- The Fundamentals of Personal Injury Law
- The Impact of Social Media on a Personal Injury Claim
- The Importance of Medical Care in Your Personal Injury Case
- The Tricks of Insurance Adjusters
- The Fundamentals of Personal Injury Law
- Understanding Policy Limits & Personal Injury Claims in Georgia
- What are the Most Common Types of Personal Injury Claims?
- What Damages Can I Receive in My Personal Injury Case?
- What Defines “Damages” in a Personal Injury Case?
- What is Comparative Negligence in an Accident Case? | Understanding At Fault State Laws
- What is Georgia’s Wrongful Death Statute?
- When Can I Sue a Retail Store for a Slip and Fall Accident?
- What Qualifies as Pain and Suffering in Georgia?
- You Break It, You Buy It: The Purpose of Recovering Damages