Staying alert and focused as a driver may seem like a no brainer, but anyone is susceptible to feeling drowsy behind the while. After long days on the road, it’s important to get rest instead of pushing through your exhaustion to finish the trip. It’s time to wake up to the dangers of drowsy driving, so keep reading to learn more about how to stay safe on the road.
Staying Awake for Your Safety
When you drive for a living, a good night’s rest is important, so it’s necessary to understand the warning signs of drowsy driving to help keep yourself safe. Not sleeping for 24 hours can resemble the effects of a 0.10% blood alcohol content level, which is above the legal limit.
Warning signs of drowsy driving can be frequent blinking, yawning, struggling to keep your head upright, nodding off, missing road or exit signs, hitting rumble strips, or “zoning out” for miles at a time.
So, how can truck drivers properly address the correlation between truck accidents & drowsy driving. Well, first ensure you’re feeling your best on the road and simply follow these few tips:
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep
- Optimize your sleeping environment and schedule for your best sleep
- Avoid alcohol, painkillers, or sleeping aids
- Try to avoid peak drowsiness times for other drivers
Truck Accidents & Drowsy Driving: What to Do If You Start Falling Asleep
If you begin to experience any of the warning signs of drowsy driving, it’s important to know what to do.
First: For your safety, stop driving as soon as possible. Pushing through the last leg of your trip isn’t worth compromising your safety.
Two: Pull into the next rest stop for a power nap or as long as you need to rest. Having a cup of coffee or other caffeinated drink may seem like a good idea, but it is just a quick fix.
Taking a break and getting some sleep is the best way to handle drowsy driving and reduce the safety risks on the road.
Contact Ross Moore Law Today!
Drowsy driving behind the wheel of a commercial motor vehicle can potentially cause a serious accident. If you or someone you know has been injured due to a drowsy driver, Ross Moore Law is here to help.
Looking for a local personal injury attorney to handle your case? Our team at Ross Moore Law is eager to put our experience to work for you. Call us today or book a free consultation online!
Conveniently located in the heart of Atlanta, GA, we are proud to serve clients throughout the surrounding areas of Athens, Alpharetta, Peachtree Corners, Marietta and more! In addition to Georgia clients, we welcome Tennessee clients as well! Get in touch today.
Attorney Ross Moore and our personal injury team handle a wide range of personal injury cases, including:
Discover More on Personal Injury Topics:
- 4 Leading Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents in Georgia
- 5 Things You Should Do After a Car Accident
- Fall Months Bring Unique Traffic Safety Risks
- Georgia Cracks Down on Distracted Driving with The Hands-Free Georgia Act
- How to Get a Copy of a Car Accident Report in Georgia
- In a Car Accident, Who Is At Fault for a Car Pileup? Multi-car Accident?
- Left Turn Accidents: Who is Liable
- Low Impact Car Accidents Can Still Cause High Levels of Injuries
- Most Dangerous Highways in the Atlanta Area
- Signs You Had a Brain Injury in a Car Wreck
- Six Things To Remember When in A Car Accident In Georgia
- The Tricks of Insurance Adjusters
- Types of Motorcycle Crashes and How to Avoid Them
- Understanding Comparative Negligence
- What are the Most Common Causes of Auto Accidents?
- What Percentage of Car Accidents Are Caused by Human Error?
- When to Use Vehicle Lights