Locals know that our city has plenty to offer, making it a great place to live. But as more people discover the appeal of Atlanta, it is quickly becoming a popular destination for tourists – and new families ready to put down roots. Now one of the fastest growing cities in America, Atlanta welcomes thousands of commuters, students, and tourists each day – with heavy traffic as the result. More congested roadways mean more car wrecks, increasing your risk of a dangerous collision each time you get behind the wheel.
Here at Ross Moore Law, we have seen the devastating impacts of car accidents time and time again. That’s why our Atlanta personal injury lawyers are committed to keeping you safe! However, if you are involved in a crash, our legal team is here to help. Attorney Ross Moore and our legal team are equipped to handle every aspect of your car accident case, bearing the burden so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Read on to learn more about Atlanta’s most dangerous roadways and how you can stay safe on them.
The Most Dangerous Highways In Atlanta, Georgia
The Peach State is home to one of the nation’s most deadly interstates: I-285. The 64-mile stretch that surrounds the city is traveled by an estimated two million drivers each day. According to a 2013 study by the National Highway Traffic Association, there are about eight serious accidents on Highway I-285 per day, earning it a top spot on the list for fatal car wrecks. In fact, I-285 has more fatal accidents per mile than any other interstate in the country! A more recent study by the American Transportation Research Institute revealed that a few of the country’s worst bottlenecks were found on I-285 as well, with I-285 at I-85 North ranking fourth on the list.
Exercise caution while driving on these other dangerous Atlanta Area roadways:
- Interstate 85: Spans 18 miles and runs northeast to southeast. There is a fatal crash about every two weeks.
- Interstate 75: Spans 300 miles and is known for its alarmingly high rate of fatal truck accidents.
- Interstate 20: Spans about 200 miles and has a high rate of fatal car accidents.
- Interstate 16: Stretches 166 miles from Savannah and Macon and is considered one of the deadliest highways in Georgia.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Georgia?
Research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shows that traffic-related deaths are increasing nationwide. In Georgia, this rise in car wrecks is mostly due to the increased number of drivers clogging the roadways. In fact, over 10% of Georgia drivers have an at-fault car accident on their record – 20% higher than the national average!
According to the NHTSA, there were an estimated 901 traffic fatalities statewide in the first half of 2022 – the fourth highest in the nation. When it comes to the highest traffic fatality rate, Georgia ranks 14th, with 1.43 deaths for 100 million miles driven.
Traffic Tips for Safe Driving in Atlanta
These startling statistics prove that car wrecks are far too common, making it even more important to take every precaution. Our Atlanta car accident attorneys recommend the following:
- Plan ahead if you are not familiar with the Atlanta area.
- Never drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- Use traffic apps on your phone to stay updated on current travel times and map the best route.
- Be aware of upcoming events and plan accordingly.
- Try to avoid rush hour whenever possible.
- Follow the speed limit and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Watch your blind spots.
- Change lanes very carefully to avoid a car accident in Atlanta.
- Watch for exit-only lanes to make sure you stay on course.
- Avoid potholes when you can or slow down if you need to drive over them.
Call Your Trusted Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer!
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, our team at Ross Moore is here to help. We will fight for the damages you deserve, including maximum compensation for medical bills, vehicle repairs, pain and suffering, and more. And if the insurance company won’t pay or make a fair settlement offer, we are prepared to file a lawsuit and go to court.
Here at our local law office, we have extensive experience handling a variety of personal injury cases, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, construction accidents, wrongful death cases, and more.
Ross Moore Law is conveniently located in Atlanta, GA – near Athens and Marietta. Our law firm also proudly serves clients in Tennessee! Call 844-404-7677 or click here to schedule your free consultation today.
Our law firm has experience handling the following types of personal injury cases:
- Car Accident
- Truck Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Boating Accident
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injury
- Construction Accident
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Dog Bites
- Elderly Abuse
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
Discover More on Personal Injury Topics:
- 4 Leading Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents in Georgia
- 5 Things You Should Do After a Car Accident
- Fall Months Bring Unique Traffic Safety Risks
- Georgia Cracks Down on Distracted Driving with The Hands-Free Georgia Act
- How to Get a Copy of a Car Accident Report in Georgia
- In a Car Accident, Who Is At Fault for a Car Pileup? Multi-car Accident?
- Left Turn Accidents: Who is Liable
- Low Impact Car Accidents Can Still Cause High Levels of Injuries
- Signs You Had a Brain Injury in a Car Wreck
- Six Things To Remember When in A Car Accident In Georgia
- The Tricks of Insurance Adjusters
- Understanding Comparative Negligence
- What are the Most Common Causes of Auto Accidents?
- What Percentage of Car Accidents Are Caused by Human Error?