If you’ve been in a car accident, it’s likely you’re thinking about filing an insurance claim. When it comes to medical expenses and vehicle repairs that were a result of a negligent driver’s actions, you have the right to seek compensation for these damages. So, how does one manage a car accident claim in Atlanta?
At Ross Moore Law, our Atlanta-area attorneys are here to help file your claim, handle the insurance company on your behalf, and get you the compensation you deserve. Read on to learn more about filing a claim after your car accident in Atlanta.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Atlanta
With the hustle and bustle of Atlanta traffic, car accidents are a common occurrence. In the event that you’re a victim of a car accident near Atlanta, it’s important to know what steps to take following the collision.
Immediately following the accident, make sure you and your passengers are not injured then move your vehicle out of traffic, if possible. Then, check on the other people involved in the accident and call 911 to report the accident.
Once emergency responders arrive, seek medical attention even if you don’t believe you are injured. Discuss the events of the accident with the police for the police report and make sure to get the name and badge number of the officer making the report. Also, get contact information and insurance information from the other drivers involved, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses. Take as many photos as you can of the accident scene, both your vehicle and the other vehicles involved, and the surrounding conditions.
After the accident, see your doctor to follow up on any injuries or to have a record that you sought out medical care as soon as possible just in case any symptoms show up days later. You will need to contact your insurance company to report the accident. When it comes to filing a claim with your insurance company to recover damages, talk with an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure you get the money you deserve.
How to Prove Fault in a Car Accident Claim in Atlanta
To receive compensation for your damages, you must first prove the other driver was at fault for the accident. The specific details of your accident will help prove the negligence or wrongdoing of the other driver involved. Your attorney will examine the details of your case, study the accident report, talk with witnesses, and uncover the evidence that points to the other driver’s negligence.
Georgia is an at-fault state, which means if a driver is found to be at fault, their insurance company pays for the damages. Points that can be argued to prove fault include:
– Other driver violated traffic laws.
– Driver was inattentive while on the road and those actions led to the accident in some way.
– The other driver was distracted by using their phone, eating, drowsiness, etc.
– They were operating their vehicle under the influence or while impaired.
How to File a Car Accident Claim
The first step of filing your car accident claim is contacting an experienced attorney to help you navigate the process. You will work with your legal counsel as they investigate your claim and build your case. This investigation includes obtaining the accident report, gathering evidence, taking photos at the scene of the accident, and getting reconstruction experts to reconstruct the accident scene. The photos you took of the accident scene, property damage, and your injuries on the day of the accident will come in handy during this part of the process.
There is unfortunately a lot of paperwork involved when filing a claim, so that’s why it’s beneficial to have an attorney by your side who will handle it for you. There is a statute of limitations for filing a claim, so your Atlanta accident attorney will ensure your claim is filed within Georgia’s statute and before the deadline.
Once the claim is filed, your attorney will then begin negotiations with the insurance companies. Negotiating is an important part of the claims process, as this is where most accident claims are settled. Your attorney will present the evidence they gathered during the investigation stage and make their case for why you deserve compensation.
From here, the insurance company will likely make an offer, and you and your attorney will either accept it, counteroffer, or proceed to trial if a settlement cannot be agreed upon.
Have You Been in a Car Accident? Contact Ross Moore Law Today!
If you or a loved one has been in a car accident and are thinking about filing a claim, let our expert personal injury legal team at Ross Moore Law guide you. We’ll make sure you get the settlement you deserve, fight for you in the courtroom, and handle the insurance companies on your behalf.
Looking for a local personal injury attorney to handle your case? Our team at Ross Moore Law is eager to put our experience to work for you. Call us today or book a free consultation online!
Conveniently located in the heart of Atlanta, GA, we are proud to serve clients throughout the surrounding areas of Athens, Alpharetta, Peachtree Corners, Marietta and more! In addition to Georgia clients, we welcome Tennessee clients as well! Get in touch today.
The Attorneys at Ross Moore Law handle a wide range of individual injury cases, including:
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injury
- Car Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Bus Accident
- Rideshare Accident
- Bicycle Accident
Discover More on Personal Injury Topics:
- Common Tricks by Insurance Adjusters After a Car Accident
- Determining Fault in Lane Change Accident
- Fall Months Bring Unique Traffic Safety Risks
- Georgia Cracks Down on Distracted Driving with The Hands-Free Georgia Act
- Highway Hypnosis: How to Avoid “White Line Fever”
- How to Get a Copy of a Car Accident Report in Georgia
- In a Car Accident, Who Is At Fault for a Car Pileup? Multi-car Accident?
- Left Turn Accidents: Who is Liable
- Low Impact Car Accidents Can Still Cause High Levels of Injuries
- Most Dangerous Highways in the Atlanta Area
- My Airbags Did Not Deploy. Who is At Fault?
- Signs You Had a Brain Injury in a Car Wreck
- Six Things To Remember When in A Car Accident In Georgia
- The Role of Dash Cam Footage in a Car Accident
- Types of Motorcycle Crashes and How to Avoid Them
- Understanding Comparative Negligence
- What are the Most Common Causes of Auto Accidents?
- What is a Black Box and How Can it Impact My Accident Case?
- What Percentage of Car Accidents Are Caused by Human Error?
- When to Use Vehicle Lights