Summertime has come to a close, ushering in another school year for children across the country. While this season is an exciting time for students, it requires some preparation to ensure a successful, safe return to the classroom. In addition to cramming backpacks with fresh supplies, it’s crucial to review the rules of the road for school zones.
Drop-off and pick-up can cause congestion, increasing the risk of car accidents and potential injury. In fact, an estimated 152,000 school-age children are injured during normal school travel hours each year. The majority of injuries (80%) occur in passenger vehicles, while a mere 4% happen on school buses.
Here at Ross Moore Law, our experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyers have compiled some safety tips for families to keep in mind as the school year gets underway. And remember, if you or your child are injured in a car crash, our team of legal professionals is here to help you fight for the compensation you deserve!
Safety Tips for Drivers
With more pedestrians and drivers on the streets, it’s important to remember these tips for navigating school zones:
- Avoid distractions and keep your eyes on the road.
- Obey the speed limit, or go even slower, to allow ample stopping time.
- Watch for school buses’ flashing lights that indicate students boarding or getting off.
- Be sure to stop for school buses. It’s the law!
- Keep an eye out for children crossing the street, even outside of designated crosswalks.
- Stay especially vigilant near parked cars that children may walk between and appear without warning.
- Never text and drive, or use your phone for any reason, while on the road.
- Avoid picking up or dropping off children across the street from school so that they are not required to cross the street.
Safety Tips for Your Kids
Educate Your Kids On Safety
These safety tips can help keep kids safe at the bus stop and on the way to school, so be sure to review them with your student.
- Only cross the street at a crosswalk and remember to look both ways.
- Pay attention to crossing guards.
- Learn the traffic signals, especially ones that indicate when it’s safe to cross.
- NEVER talk to strangers or get into an unknown vehicle.
- Always be aware of traffic and do not turn your head away from it.
- If you are walking or biking to school, stick to the buddy system.
While many car wrecks are preventable, accidents still happen. Make sure your child knows who to call in the event of an accident, and review key details like their home address and a parent’s work number. Also, remind them to make 911 their first call for emergency situations.
Not sure whether it’s best to drive your child to school or entrust a bus driver to get them there safely? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), students are roughly 70 times more likely to arrive at school safely while taking the school bus, as opposed to arriving in a passenger car.
It’s also important to note that teen drivers are far more likely to be involved in an accident. Studies show that an estimated 55% of school-age children’s deaths involve a teen driver.Educating new drivers can help prevent dangerous car wrecks in and around school zones.
Give Your Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer a Call!
The start of the school year is a great time to review school zone safety, for both students and their families! Remaining alert on the road, especially in and around school zones, could potentially save a life – so keep the tips listed above in mind.
If you or a member of your family has been injured, our Atlanta car accident attorneys can help. Our legal team will handle every aspect of your personal injury claim, always available to address any concerns. Trust our law firm to fight for the damages you deserve, including compensation for medical bills, vehicle repairs, and more.
Ross Moore Law is conveniently located in Atlanta, GA and we are proud to serve clients throughout the state. Our law office is not far from Marietta, Alpharetta, and Peachtree City, so schedule your free consultation with a car accident lawyer today!
In addition to car accidents, our team works in the personal injury following areas: